Friday, September 4, 2009

TV: American Masters doc on Dalton Trumbo

Watched an American Masters documentary on the blacklisted screenwriter Dalton Trumbo. A fascinating portrait of a man who stood by his principles in a difficult time and paid the price for it.






But unlike other AM profiles this one had famous actors--Michael Douglas, Paul Giamatti, Liam Neeson--perform excerpts from Trumbo's funny, lyrical and philosophical letters. It shouldn't have worked but it did, maybe because he was such a vivid writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My CV includes editing the Arts section of Time Magazine, writing for the still-missed TheaterWeek magazine, teaching arts reporting at the City University of New York’s Graduate School of Journalism and being married to a longtime pit musician. I am also a member the Advisory Committee of the American Theatre Wing and of the Outer Critics Circle. That means that most of my theater tickets are comped (which the FTC now requires me to disclose) but I promise you that my thoughts about the shows I see won’t be compromised.

Followers